Ian B. Burgess [ibburges@fas]
- Ian was born on July 2, 1987, in Montreal, Canada. He received his BSc with honors in Mathematical Physics from the University of Waterloo in 2008 and is currently working as a PhD student in the Lončar Group. In addition to banging on his drum kit, Ian enjoys playing hockey and golf.
- National Science and Engineering Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship (NSERC-PGS, Canada)
- I.B. Burgess*, Y. Zhang*, M.W. McCutcheon*, A.W. Rodriguez, J. Bravo-Abad, S.G.
Johnson, and M. Lončar "Design of an efficient terahertz generation in
triply resonant nonlinear photonic crystal microcavities," Optics Express, 17,
- Y. Zhang, M.W. McCutcheon, I.B. Burgess, and M. Lončar, "Ultra-high-Q TE/TM
dual-polarized photonic crystal nanocavities," Optics Letters 34, 2694-2696
(2009).[Invited paper in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science and
Technology, Vol. 20, Iss. 13, Sept. 28, 2009].
- I.B. Burgess, A.W. Rodriguez, M. W. McCutcheon, J. Bravo-Abad, Y. Zhang, S.G.
Johnson, and M. Lončar, "Difference-frequency generation with
quantum-limited efficiency in triply-resonant nonlinear cavities," Optics
Express, 17, 9241-9251 (2009).
- I.B. Burgess, M. Peccianti, G. Assanto, R. Morandotti, "Accessible Light Bullets
via Synergetic Nonlinearities," Phys. Rev. Lett., 102, 203903 (2009).
- I.B. Burgess, M.R. Ponte, K. Saravanamuttu, “Spontaneous formation of 3-D
optical and structural lattices from two orthogonal and mutually incoherent
beams of white light propagating in a photopolymerisable material” J. Mater.
Chem., 18, 4133–4139 (2008) (featured on the front cover).
- I.B. Burgess, P. Rochon, N. Cunningham, “Photophysical Properties of Commercial
Red Dyes in Polymer Films”. Optical Materials, 30, 1478-1483 (2008).
- I.B. Burgess, W.E. Shimmell, K. Saravanamuttu, “Spontaneous Pattern Formation
Due to Modulation Instability of Incoherent White Light in a Photopolymerizable
Medium”. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 129, 4738-4746 (2007).
- J. Bravo-Abad, I.B. Burgess, J.D. Joannopoulos, S.G. Johnson, M. Loncar, M.W.
McCutcheon, A.W. Rodriguez, M. Soljacic, and Y. Zhang, "Efficient terahertz
sources based on difference-frequency generation in triply-resonant photonic
resonators." Filed with U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, U.S. Serial Number
- I.B. Burgess, L. Mishchenko, B.D. Hatton, J. Aizenberg, M. Loncar, "Manipulation
of Fluids in 3D Photonic Structures with Patterned Surface Properties" U.S.
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers
- I.B. Burgess, M.W. McCutcheon, A.W. Rodriguez, J. Bravo-Abad, Y. Zhang, S.G.
Johnson, and M. Lončar, "Efficient Difference Frequency Generation in
Triply Resonant Nonlinear Cavities," OSA Nonlinear Optics: Materials,
Fundamentals and Applications, 2009, Honolulu, HI, no. NWD2.
- M. Peccianti, I.B. Burgess, G. Assanto, and R. Morandotti, "Optical Bullet
Bursts Generation in Nonlocal Media," OSA Nonlinear Optics: Materials,
Fundamentals and Applications, 2009, Honolulu, HI, no. NFA4.
- M. Peccianti, I.B. Burgess, G. Assanto, R. Morandotti, “Accessible Light
Bullets,” CLEO 2009, Baltimore, MD, no. ITuC3.
- M. Peccianti, I.B. Burgess, M. Ferrera, D. Duchesne, L. Razzari, R. Morandotti,
B.E. Little, S.T. Chu, D.J. Moss, “Temporal pulse compression in high-index
doped silica glass integrated waveguides,” CLEO 2009, Baltimore, MD, no. CMJ4.