Michael J. Burek [mjburek@fas]
Bachelor of Applied Science, University of Waterloo (Canada)
Michael received his BASc degree in Nanotechnology Engineering from the University of Waterloo in April 2010. His past research experiences include internships at Caltech, Penn State, and the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering at SUNY Albany. Currently, Michael is a Ph.D. candidate in the School of Engineering and Applied Science at Harvard University, where his research focus is in the areas of nanofabrication, nanophotonics, and optomechanics.
- National Science and Engineering Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship (NSERC-PGS, Canada).
- U.S. Patent Application No. 12/779,780, Unpublished (filing date May 13, 2010), “FABRICATION OF VERTICALLY ALIGNED METALLIC NANOPILLARS” by J.R. Greer and M.J. Burek.
- Tsui T.Y., Jahed Z., Jin S., and Burek M.J., “Suppression of size-dependent softening effects in sub-micron nanocrystalline ruthenium columnar structures” Materials Science & Engineering A, 565, 219-227, (2013).
- Burek M.J., de Leon N.P., Shields B.J., Hausmann B.M., Chu Y., Quan Q., Zibrov A.S., Park H., Lukin M., and Lončar M., “Free-standing mechanical and photonic nanostructures in single-crystal diamond” Nano Letters, 12 (12), 6084–6089, (2012).
- Jin S., Xie S., Burek M.J., Jahed, Z., and Tsui T.Y., “Microstructure and mechanical properties of zinc nanostructures” Journal of Material Research, 27 (16), 2140-2148, (2012).
- Jahed Z., Evans R.D., Burek M.J., and Tsui T.Y., “Mechanical properties of columnar sub-micron cobalt structures with various cross-sectional geometries” Scripta Materialia, 67 (5), 463-466, (2012).
- Jin S., Burek M.J., Evans R.D., Jahed Z., Leung M.C., Evans N.D., and Tsui T.Y., “Fabrication and mechanical properties of super-strong nanocrystalline cobalt nanostructures” Materials Science & Engineering A, 552, 104-111, (2012).
- Jahed Z., Jin S., Burek M.J., and Tsui T.Y., “Fabrication and buckling behavior of polycrystalline palladium, cobalt, and rhodium nanostructures” Materials Science & Engineering A, 542, 40-48, (2012).
- Jin S., Burek M.J., Evans N., Jahed Z., and Tsui T.Y., “Fabrication and plastic deformation of sub-micron cadmium structures” Scripta Materialia, 66 (9), 619-622, (2012).
- Budiman A.S., Lee G., Burek M.J., Jang D., Han S.M., Tamura N., Kunz M., Greer J.R., and Tsui T.Y., “Plasticity of small scale indium structures as revealed by synchrotron Laue x-ray microdiffraction” Materials Science & Engineering A, 538, 89-97, (2012).
- Burek M.J. and Hesjedal T., “Methane chemical vapor deposition on transition metal/GaAs samples – a possible route to Haeckelite carbon nanotubes?” Surface and Interface Analysis, 44 (4), 456-465 (2012).
- Lee G., Kim J.-Y., Burek M.J., Greer J.R., and Tsui T.Y., “Plastic deformation of indium nanostructures” Materials Science & Engineering A, in press (2011).
- Burek M.J., Jin S., Leung M.C., Jahed Z., Wu J., Budiman A.S., Tamura N., Kunz M., and Tsui T.Y. “Grain boundary effects on the mechanical properties of bismuth nanostructures” Acta Materialia, 59 (11), 4709-4718, (2011).
- Burek M.J., Budiman A.S., Jahed Z., Tamura N., Kunz M., Jin S., Han, S.M.J., Lee G., Zamecnik C., and Tsui T.Y. “Fabrication, microstructure, and mechanical properties of tin nanostructures” Materials Science & Engineering A, 528 (18), 5822-5832, (2011).
- Russo D.V.*, Burek M.J.*, Iutzi R.M.*, Mracek J.A.*, Hesjedal T., “Design and development of an electronic nose sensing platform for undergraduate education in nanotechnology” European Journal of Physics, 32 (3), 675-686, (2011).
- Jennings, A.T., Burek, M. J., and Greer, J.R. “Microstructure versus Size: Mechanical Properties of Electroplated Single Crystalline Cu Nanopillars” Physical Review Letters, 104, 135503, (2010).
**Selected for the April 12th, 2010 issue of the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology.
- Burek, M. J., and Greer, J.R. “Fabrication and microstructural control of nanoscale mechanical testing specimens by electron beam lithography and electroplating” Nano Letters, 10 (1), 69-76 (2010).
**Featured as an Editor’s Choice in the 18 December 2009 issue of Science, and in a news brief for the February 2010 issue of the MRS Bulletin.
- Lee G., Kim J.-Y., Budiman A. S., Tamura N., Kunz M., Chen K., Burek M.J., Greer J.R., and Tsui T.Y., “Fabrication, structure, and mechanical properties of indium nanopillars” Acta Materialia, 58 (4), 1361-1368 (2010).
**Featured in the monthly newsletter of the Advanced Light Source, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (ALSNews Vol. 309, May 26, 2010).
- Greer, J.R., Kim, J.-Y., and Burek M.J., “In-situ mechanical testing of nanoscale single-crystalline nanopillars” JOM, 61 (12), 19-25 (2009).
- Greer, J.R., Jang, D., Kim, J.-Y., and Burek M.J., “Emergence of new mechanical functionality in materials via size reduction” Advanced Functional Materials, 19 (18), 2880-2886 (2009).